Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Never Stop Dreaming

December 17th: Its been exactly four years since I opened my first package of polymer clay.

That first day I made a sculpture for my daughter-a little figurine on a plaque illustrating a joke we had between us. It turned out pretty well considering the fact that I had no idea what I was doing. I did know one thing, though: polymer clay was in my life to stay.

Caning caught my eye very quickly. Once I started making canes I couldn't stop. I studied everything I could get my hands on. I handled clay in one way or the other from 9 am to 9pm, five days a week. I had a clerical job on Tuesday and Thursday so I only made cane from 6 to 9 after work on those two days. Then it got worse.

I won't frighten you with any  further detail.  Obviously the clay thing got in my head like nothing else ever had. All my visions suddenly had vehicle, a transport from a misty region in my head to a tangible place in the solid world. I couldn't resist that.

So here's the kicker: Today I received my advance copy of the  clay lovers' bible-Polymer Cafe Magazine. I have a five page article in it. Then I checked my youtube stats. As of today I have had 9,129 views of my caning tutorials in less than 3 months. Then my favorite world-renowned clay artist messaged me and told me she sent me a complete set of her exquisite, expensive, state of the art sculpting tools - just because she likes my work. She also asked to purchase one of my pieces.

So, yeah, there have been a few times when I've asked myself if all that insane focus would ever lead to anything.  I've questioned the validity of being  a  single- minded, clay-obsessed dreamer.

But my dream is looking pretty real to me now; so I beg your indulgence, world.

Don"t wake me just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment