Friday, August 30, 2013

MY Drug of Choice

Its human nature to self medicate. For some its weed or booze or Cadbury. For me, its polyclay caning.

As you know, I'm 2 days away from my last big art fair. Now is not the time to start a new complex cane. Not only is it way to late to start any new pieces; but there are loads of little details I should be attending to. Gotta check the hundred plus pieces for flaws, Add clasps and extension chains to a couple dozen necklaces, put a last coat of resin on this, touch up the back of that, but Nooooo! I'm making cane.

Art fairs are a lot of work. So why am i goofing off?

Because caning is my drug. Everything around me blurs when I'm making Skinner blends and slicing through smooth sheets of clay.

The world around me fades to a hum and my temporal lobe sighs with bliss.  I'm lost on my own personal island of color and texture.

I call my caning class "The Magic of Polyclay".  For me, working with clay lives up to the name.

No comments:

Post a Comment